10/04/2012 General, Dominica
Conceived as a monument to Christopher Columbus, it was agreed at a conference in 1923 that the construction would be funded by all nations of the Americas, and the design would be awarded to an English architect, Joseph Gleave.
In the form of a lying cross, approximately ½ mile long and over 650 feet high, the construction began in 1948 at the site in Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. Due to the country's political situation however, the scheme rapidly came to a halt. The project was eventually re-started in 1986, and was finally completed in time for the 1992 celebrations of the 500th Anniversary of the discovery of the Americas.
Many Latin American countries have issued stamps featuring the lighthouse. In 1948 a scarce limited edition miniature sheet was produced in an illustrated folder intended as a promotional item for the impending construction.